Heroes are wrestlers with determination
This weekend marked my first sporting event as a mother of the athlete! Oh my!!! I had no idea how nerve-wracking it would be :) Leo and Ned flew my Uncle John's 206 to town on Friday to pick up Samuel and I, then we all flew down to
Soldotna. Friday night was weigh-ins at
Nikiski High School, which is about a 40 minute drive from
Soldotna. We met up with the rest of the
Lake Clark Monsters Freestyle Wrestling Team there. Ned weighed in at 79.5 lbs, so he was in the "Midgets 80".

The next morning found us waiting on the bleachers, and waiting and waiting... Finally, about 11 am Ned had his first match. He was awesome! He ended up losing by points, but had the score tied there for awhile. Not bad at all for his first match ever.

Here he is with his first opponent. It was double elimination, so on to Round 2...

Ned won his second match! Just look at the agony on that kid's face. Seriously, it was hard to watch lots of times. I felt so bad for whoever lost, even when it was kids I didn't know :) What helped ease my pain a bit during this match was sitting next to this kid's parents while they screamed at their son to "throw him bodily"- talking about my baby. It was all I could do to not turn aside and politely inform his mother that it was my child they were telling their child to harm, so could they please refrain from the violent outbursts.

Here's Ned signing the paper after he won :) He lost his next match pretty quickly when he was pinned, but all in all, he had a great meet!

One of the highlights of our trip was staying at
Krissi and Leon's house.
Krissi took such good care of us--much better than any 5 Star hotel! After the meet, we stopped back by the house to check weather and after a quick trip through the
DQ drive-
thru, we were on the plane headed back to Port
Alsworth. We had Anthony McGee with us, the coach's son and Ned's buddy. All the boys did so well. We're really proud of all of them!
2 comments:
That was a good post! I bet it was fun to see your son playing a sport and winning:) That last picture makes me laugh...Ned is in a sleeveless shirt with snow on the ground!
Oh my goodness Menda, I can't believe how big he looks. GO NED!!! I love wrestling, but I remember when Edward wrestled, it was so hard to watch. I agree with Donna, must be a true alaskan to wear wrestling uniform in the snow! Tell Ned we are proud of him!
Post a Comment