Journey to Africa


Monday, June 28, 2010

Some Africa Stuff

In our backyard we've got a pawpaw (papaya) tree and every couple of days we get more fruit of off it. This was the first one we cut up and was it ever delicious! The hardest part is waiting for them to ripen so we can eat them!

Dishes are a never-ending chore here. Before Jane came, I was in the kitchen until about 9 pm every night doing dishes. This evening, Isaac came in to help me rinse :)
The other kids were all watching a movie while Isaac helped me. One day we'll have a couch and probably even a tv, but this is how we do it for now!

Almost every evening the "big lake flies" like to come in our front door. The kids were in and out and the door was wide open this night. The spots all over the floor are the bugs. They sweep up pretty easily, unless they get squished, then they're a sticky mess. I try to shut the door before it gets dark out, keep the light off in the entry way and pull the "treated" curtain we have over the door. Last night it kept the big lake flies out, but we had a ton of dead little ones on the floor this morning. Oh well, I guess we just can't win some battles!

The kids call the big lake flies "tickle bugs". They like to play with them and say they tickle. I think they're crazy, but I'm glad they don't freak out from all the bugs. Rylea had this container about three inches deep in "tickle bugs" this evening. Our guards are starting to scare the kids about bugs and things though, they tell them everything bites and is poisonous!

No comments: