Journey to Africa


Saturday, February 23, 2008

How do YOU keep warm?!

Leo and the older kids headed up the lake this afternoon for firewood. A couple of hours later, I joined him with the littler ones and a picnic!

Malachi, the littlest wood-cutter :) All bundled up and cozy warm! These pictures are a bit out of chronological order, but I'm just so excited I got them on here, I won't complain. Here's a glimpse of what we do to keep warm in Alaska!

Ned, back on the beach with a load of wood.

Isaac roasting a hotdog over the campfire, which I started, by the way, with just one quick flip of the lighter and a piece of birch bark :)


My dad a little trouble with his snow-machine up in the trees so he hiked back down to the beach and after a delicious, slow-roasted on an open campfire hotdog, borrowed the Tundra and went and got his sled from the woods. We hooked two sleds behind the snow-machine and dragged a double load of wood home!


The kids enjoyed playing on the ice while we waited for Leo to get back to the beach with a load of wood.

Leo, Ned and Elizabeth are taking the empty sled up into the woods to bring a load down to the beach.

I wanted to end with a picture of our woodstove, but for some reason, I can't get that picture to upload this time. Next time you reach over to turn up your thermostat, you can think of us :) Hope you're having a warm and cozy evening!










2 comments:

The Williams in Africa said...

Love the name for your blog. Happy Blogging!

Donna said...

It's so weird to see that beach with snow on it! I would love to go to AK in the winter time and see the snow and be in the cold!!