Journey to Africa


Friday, February 20, 2009

Narimon- Party at "The Well"

OK, here's the post I promised about the Party at The Well. A month or so ago, my mom and sister found this information about a ministry out of Thailand that rescues women from sex trafficking. They then train the women to do crafts to sell, in order to have an income. The ministry is part of Servant Works and this particular vein is called Narimon. The website is http://www.narimon.org/. I strongly encourage you to go check it out and consider hosting your own party! They send you a HUGE box of jewelry, cards, bags, skirts... for you to sell. 90% of the profits goes directly back to the rescue work of freeing more women from sex trafficking. Included with the crafts, are a couple of dvd clips of testimonies from some of the women and then some general info. about the Servant Works ministry. So... last Saturday we went to my mom's and started setting up. Here's me, Brittany and Glenda Goertzen starting to to lay out the jewelry.
Brittany with all the bags on display!

Some of the jewelry... there was SO much stuff and it was awesome! The prices were very reasonable too and what an awesome cause.


Pearls!



On Sunday afternoon, the ladies arrived and started shopping! I think there must be a trench worn around my mom's dining room table from the ladies walking around and around and around... I know every time I made a lap, I saw something I hadn't noticed before!

My mom and Miss Jane sportin' a couple of the shoulder bags. The bags were made from hand-woven silk and were beautiful (and only $35)!!!

You can't really see them, but the cards and journals were super cute too!

Mom had an awesome spread for the party. Turkey roll-ups, hot crab rolls, veggies and fruit with dip, blueberry-pomegranite trail mix... So yummy!



This table had wrap bracelets, belts, skirts and make-up bags.


Here's a picture of everyone shopping! We all had the best time. It was just a super fun time of being together, shopping for jewelry, eating fun "girly" food and suppporting a very, very worthwhile cause. I hope you'll consider hosting your own Party at the Well! There's already talk of next time we have one and the men are asking that they be allowed first-pick to go through the jewelry and shop for their wives before the women shop! I guess the average a party makes is around $700. This one made $3629! Maybe it's just that living in the bush, we don't have as many opportunities to shop, but what a huge blessing, for us and hopefully, for the ladies in Thailand too :)









6 comments:

jane said...

It was a fun afternoon but I really didn't get a visit with you and "all" of yours...Maybe next time. I can't believe ya'll sold over $3,000 dollars worth. That was wonderful, actually amazing. Take care and hope to see you soon.

Chandelle Cotter said...

That is really cool- I should do it here! What if you cant sell everything though?

The Alaskan Wildfowlers said...

Then you just send whatever doesn't sell, back to Narimon, along with the checks for what did sell :)

Anonymous said...

What an amazing opportunity and how fun! So fun to see pictures of a party in action.

Ronda said...

Oh my goodness! That all looks like it came from here. There are so many organizations like that here also and my co-worker, Karen, works at one every day after school. She sells their products in Australia, several countries in Europe, and in the States too. Wish I could've been there and brought some of Emmanuel Craft's items too. I miss you all!

Donna said...

Good post, Menda! Looks like a fun party with some cool items. It was nice to see a picture of Jane up there shopping, too!!