Journey to Africa


Saturday, November 14, 2009

While the Boys are Away...

There won't be any photos in this post, since Leo has the camera, so sorry! Just three more days until Leo and Ned get home and we are all very much looking forward to their return. Although, I have to say these past two weeks have gone very well and actually been rather enjoyable in many ways. I bought a bunch of easy food last time I was in town, so I've hardly cooked. My grandparents are taking care of my parents house for awhile, so the two littlest boys and I have gone nearly every day the past week and had lunch with them. It's been a treat to have this special time with my grandpa and grandma. I love our huge extended family and the wild get-togethers we have, but it's neat to have some "one on one" and get some good visiting in too!

I have done a bit of scrapbooking and gotten a lot done on my Snapfish Photo books online, so I feel a little bit productive! It's been fun to talk to Leo and Ned on the phone and hear about their adventures. Right now they are with Leo's parents in Washington. I think it is a bittersweet time for him. It's the first time he's seen his mom since she was diagnosed with colon cancer and there are a lot of changes that are hard to see. We are thankful that we'll be in the states six more months than we'd originally planned so we can be relatively close by if we are needed.

It got below zero here last night and we've got some snow on the ground, so it sure feels like winter. I'm getting in the Christmas mode. The kids and I wrapped presents the other night and we've been listening to Christmas music and started reading our Advent story a bit early, as I'm sure it'll take us longer to read then it is supposed to!

Along with my Christmas joy, there is a pang of sadness. I keep thinking that this is the last Christmas we will be here for awhile. So, I want to embrace this time fully. Sometimes that means tearing up in the middle of a song or lingering just a bit longer over a conversation with a loved one. This is such a strange time in our lives. As we look forward with eager anticipation to what God has for us in Uganda, our hearts also ache at the thought of the good-byes that are just around the corner for us. We do not take for granted the wonderful friends and family God has blessed us with in this place.

On a lighter note, I wonder at the changes coming our way. Simple things I do every day like vacuuming, using my clothes dryer, dishwasher, turning on the tap and getting fresh, clean water (or any water at all some days!) and so many other things I do without even thinking about them, will no longer be thoughtless tasks. So, I'm trying to really enjoy and appreciate these seemingly simple chores. I'll miss my clothes dryer, but there's also something very satisfying about a clothesline full of clean laundry!

God is good all the time! We are thankful and are blessed by your friendship. Thanks for reading my ramblings. And now I must go read our bedtime story!

No comments: